Councilmember McDuffie recommended in the budget for the clean-up of the Brookland-RIA Triangle park. Below is a petition letter address to the chairman and other councilmembers asking them to support this recommendation. Please sign-on ask your neighbors to do the same.
I am signing this petition asking you to support $150,000 budget recommendation to support the clean-up and restoration of the Brookland-Rhode Island Tri Park.
Over the last three years, current and past ANC commissioners, the Brookland Neighborhood Civic Association, and inpidual residents have worked with the Office of the Mayor, the Attorney General for the District of Columbia and Metropolitan Police Department to address the “open-air drug market.” situation that has led to several recent homicides.
We feel that this funding will go along way to help our neighborhood address this issues and re-orient the how the park has been utilized. Specifically, the funding will go toward the following:
- Landscaping (mulch, grass, shrubs, flowers, trees)
- Decorative border fence
- Park Name Sign
- Park Sign (Park closes at dark – work order issued per Hakeem on 12/11/2017)
- Park Sign (Drug-Free Zone – work order issued per Hakeem on 12/11/2017)
- Historic Placard Signs within the park (to show the history of the neighborhood over the years)
- Mission Statement Plaque dedicating this park space
- Memorial for victims in the community
- Fountain/water feature for tranquility
- Chess Tables/Seats
- Seating in the park for people to enjoy it (benches, Adirondacks etc)
- Improved Bus Stop (WMATA)
- Murals on sides of buildings nearby to help give interest and beautification
- Doggie Waste Station
Furthermore, our neighborhood envisions programming that location to encourage all residents to use the park and build a stronger community. Some of the ideas of programming include:
- City services fair (agencies come out with info such as DHS, DBH, MPD, DOES, DCOA etc)
- Yoga in the park
- Dog training in the park
- Art in the park
- Farmer’s market
- Music in the park
- MPD and FEMS meet and greet in the park
I encourage all councilmembers to support this budget recommendation.